Saturday, November 12, 2011

"I had to learn the price of everything - because I could never afford it - when I came to the city on my own as a sixteen-year old apprentice: hunger taught me the prices, and the thought of freshly-baked bread rendered me weak in the head. In the evenings I would often wander through the city for hours on end, with only one thought in my head: bread. My eyes ached, my knees were weak, and I felt a wolf-like longing in me - bread. I was addicted to bread, just as you can be addicted to heroin. I frightened myself, and I kept thinking about a man who had once presented a slide-show at the apprentices' hostel about an expedition to the North Pole, and who had told us that they had torn apart freshly-caught fish and eaten them raw. Even now, when I have collected my pay and then walk around the city with my coins and notes, I am still often overcome with that wolf-like fear of those early days, an I buy which I see lying freshly baked in the bakers' shop window: I will buy two which look particularly good to me, then another one in the next shop, together with small crispy brown rolls, far too many of them, which later I will put in my landlady's kitchen because I cannot eat even a quarter of the bread I have bought and the thought of all that bread going mouldy fills me with horror."
Heinrich Böll, Das Brot der frühen Jahre (The Bread of Those Early Years) 1929

No comments:

Post a Comment